So, the other day I was thinking about how much of a rollercoaster the last year of my life has been. I’m about to turn 21 in a month and I had kind of a little ‘throw back’ in my head. I do that from time to time, especially around my birthday. It may sound weird to say since I have a pretty good life, but mostly I feel kind of sad when I look back on the last year. I always feel like I could have made it a better one, and all the plans and dreams I had mostly remain untouched. I know I’m the one to blame for that.
But this time, while overlooking the past year I felt different. To be honest, I was proud of myself and I felt like I really made progress during this year. Well actually, the last three months. Let’s say I needed a little warming up.. 😉 It’s actually kind of bad that we – or at least I, speaking for myself – are often not really satisfied with all that we’ve accomplished while looking back on a certain period of time. While actally, there were so many things we did great, which we don’t give ourselfs credit for.
Yes, I could be unsatisfied and make myself feel bad just because I still didn’t travel te world, I’m still not a famous musician and I am still not having the fancy filmjobs I aim for. But that would be nonsense. And normally, the ‘old Sofie’ would drag herself into this nonsense and make herself believe that it’s been a useles year. While in fact it was actually really productive and useful.
The key is – and I said it before – the way you accept yourself looking at the situation is the way you’ll believe it in the end. When I look back on my year there are countless new things I’ve learned:
- Dealing with toxic people // Don’t except these in your life and let go.
- Dealing with anxiety // Seeing a psychologist is nothing to be ashamed of. Get out there and do it just for you.
- Stand for yourself // Surrounded by rude people? Toughen up and talk back. Cry in the car while driving home later. It’s okay 😉
- Just ask // If you want things to be done, asking is the key. It’s not stupid, it’s actually super smart.
- Accepting yourself // Because you are stuck with yourself for the rest of your life. So you better make it work.
Allright, this was personal but hopefully still fun to read 🙂 Remember to be proud of all you’ve accomplished, even about the smallest things we usually take for granted!
(!) Check out my Instagram for cool photo’s and updates!