So, the other day I was thinking about how much of a rollercoaster the last year of my life has been. I’m about to turn 21 in a month and I had kind of a little ‘throw back’ in my head. I do that from time to time, especially around my birthday. It may sound weird to say since I have a pretty good life, but mostly I feel kind of sad when I look back on the last year. I always feel like I could have made it a better one, and all the plans and dreams I had mostly remain untouched. I know I’m the one to blame for that.
But this time, while overlooking the past year I felt different. To be honest, I was proud of myself and I felt like I really made progress during this year. Well actually, the last three months. Let’s say I needed a little warming up.. 😉 It’s actually kind of bad that we – or at least I, speaking for myself – are often not really satisfied with all that we’ve accomplished while looking back on a certain period of time. While actally, there were so many things we did great, which we don’t give ourselfs credit for.
Yes, I could be unsatisfied and make myself feel bad just because I still didn’t travel te world, I’m still not a famous musician and I am still not having the fancy filmjobs I aim for. But that would be nonsense. And normally, the ‘old Sofie’ would drag herself into this nonsense and make herself believe that it’s been a useles year. While in fact it was actually really productive and useful.
The key is – and I said it before – the way you accept yourself looking at the situation is the way you’ll believe it in the end. When I look back on my year there are countless new things I’ve learned:
- Dealing with toxic people // Don’t except these in your life and let go.
- Dealing with anxiety // Seeing a psychologist is nothing to be ashamed of. Get out there and do it just for you.
- Stand for yourself // Surrounded by rude people? Toughen up and talk back. Cry in the car while driving home later. It’s okay 😉
- Just ask // If you want things to be done, asking is the key. It’s not stupid, it’s actually super smart.
- Accepting yourself // Because you are stuck with yourself for the rest of your life. So you better make it work.
Allright, this was personal but hopefully still fun to read Remember to be proud of all you’ve accomplished, even about the smallest things we usually take for granted!
(!) Check out my Instagram for cool photo’s and updates!